“You’ve done more for me in one lesson than all three of my previous teachers the whole time I was studying with them.”
– Review of Ellie by Martin L, singer/songwriter 2007
California-born educator and jazz vocalist Eleonor England has been called “the voice whisperer” (I’m not making this up) and brings to bear:
- 22+ years of fulltime teaching experience (1st lesson given in 1986, fulltime from 1999)
- 10+ years of Alexander Technique study
- 2 decades of continuing education study in voice taking workshops and private lessons from many different sources to compile the fastest and most efficient techniques from a variety of disciplines and techniques. Nerd.
With regard to corporate clients, she’s done work for:
- Universal Records
- Republic Records
- I <3 Media
- National Association of Music Merchants (NAMM)
- Clearchannel (now defunct)
- Sierra Club Legal Department (spoken voice)
- National University in San Diego (speaker on voice at Women in Business Convention)
Some of her clients have included
- International Superstar and platinum recording artist Prudence Liew, Hong Kong
- Recording artist Stephanie Ho, Hong Kong video link
- KPop sensation and recording artist Kate Kim, Seoul
- 2016 GRAMMY nominee Best Musical Theatre Album, recording artist Aoede, San Francisco
- 2023 GRAMMY nominee Best Blues Album, Glen Doll, Los Angeles
Eleonor England founded “Voice Studios of Eleonor England” in 1999 (San Francisco expanding to Hollywood and San Diego) where she’s trained pop, rock, blues, R&B, and jazz singers ranging from beginners with personal goals through international pop divas. She’s worked extensively with recording artists and amateurs alike in Hollywood, San Francisco, NYC, and in her EU studio based out of Amsterdam.
Ellie works with singers in and out of the recording studio and can guide you through your first recording. She excels at problem-solving for singers and getting results fast from beginner through advanced singers…and she has a joi de vivre that enables her to make the human connection with many different types of people. She prides herself and everyone she hires for leaving clients in a better place emotionally and with regard to their technique.
As a teacher in the US, Ellie is most well-known for teaching pop, rock, soul, blues, and R&B. However, she also teaches “jazz”, legit jazz, classical, I-Pop, and more. In person in NYC, San Diego, and San Francisco, as well as via Zoom, she works extensively with a lot of the Hong Kong Canto-Pop and Mando-Pop artists on material in English, Cantonese, and Mandarin as well as working on English and Korean language songs with K-Pop “idols” in South Korea.
Ellie bases her teachings on the fact that “positive reinforcement” (ie: reward) works with singers and “negative reinforcement” (ie: punishment) causes singers to close up and sing poorly (and takes time to reverse). This is a majour distinction between Ellie’s approach and the approaches many other places. There is no “tough love” here; it is a failed teaching technique.
As a performer, she has been named one of the “creme de la creme USA and world best” jazz voices by French jazz critic Maximilien DeLafayette and been called “A world-class voice” by JazzReview. She’s been the critics choice in many majour newspaper calendar sections, playing venues intimate to large. Visit her performing site Live Jazz NYC by Eleonor England. Ellie’s sold-out shows combining jazz in a cabaret-like settings taking her jazz combo into prominent medium-sized rock and metal clubs and venues, such as San Francisco’s Elbo Room and Broadway Studios, with some of the top jazz players has garnered fans from in and out of the jazz multiverse and pushed the boundaries of the genre.
She accepts older kids (age 11+) and adults of all ages and levels.
Lessons are sliding scale $150-200 with clients choosing their pricing in that range.
(see below for reviews and client achievements)
Clients Who Started As Beginner With Pro Aspirations Were…
- GRAMMY nominated (Whaaaa????)
- Played sold out solo concerts at the Hong Kong Coliseum (capacity like 13,000 people)
- 10+ certified top 10 hit songs based on albums and single sales
- Certified multi-platinum album sales
- San Diego Music Awards wins and nominations
- LA Music Awards wins and nominations
- Artists In Music Awards (Hollywood) wins
- Bay Area Music Awards wins and nominations (these are now defunct)
- Venues like the Vienna Opera House, South by Southwest, headliner at Bali Jazz Festival, more
- Tons of song placements in film and TV
- Tons of cd’s recorded
- American Idol Golden Ticket winner
- Superstar K
- Super Idol – my client took 2nd place. This is like American Idol but for the Taipei market
- The Voice
- Honestly if this thing gets too long, it gets boring, so I’ll spare you guys
Beginning Clients with Personal Goals
- Multiple people have sang at their own wedding – this is a common and beautiful goal
- Going from totally freaked out to even sing Happy Birthday with a group of people to being able to sing a song solo in front of friends
- People who thought they were tone deaf have gone on to sing on key and some even reassessed their goals and started singing professionally
- Many have worked up a karaoke tune for home or office parties or for singing with friends in a karaoke room
- Sang to their BF/GF/spouse at Valentine’s Day
- Sang to their then-BF/GF when they proposed
- TONS of other super fun and sometimes super touching personal projects
Students With School Goals
- Of my clients who have studied at least a year, we have a 96% acceptance rate to their school of choice
- All who’ve taken the audition for the Coronado School of the Arts have been accepted
- All who’ve taken the audition for the School of the Arts in San Francisco have been accepted
- All who’ve taken the auditions for the Berklee, New England Conservatory, Manhattan School of Music, Musicians Institute in LA, etc have been accepted – graduate and undergrad